RE: AfterStep & RH

Joris Struyve (jstruy@fercomsys.be)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 07:50:06 +0100

You can add /usr/local/bin to your PATH in ~/.bash_profile or in
/etc/profile if you want all the users to have it in their PATH.

I had the same effect once. but I don't remember how I fixed it

#1) I recently installed the latest version of AS (1.6.6) after getting
rid of all the crap RH installed (including its outdated ver of AS). My
problem presents itself when after I get past 'make install' and go to
actually start it up.  I run startx  and it errors out with something to
the effect of "exec: error: cant locate afterstep". And yes, that is
what is in my .xinitrc.  The only thing I could think of is perhaps the
location of the afterstep file (/usr/local/bin) is not in the path- and
I dont know how to modify that.  For the time being I just simply put
the path into my .xinitrc and it worked.

#2) After Un-installing everything from the previous AS that came w/ RH,
once I was in AS1.6.6 I went to the appearance settings and did refresh
all- and *POOF* almost all of my stuff on the start menu were gone! i.e.
xiterm, switch, shutdown- stuff like that. Is there any way to get back
to a fairly standard default that I could then modify?! Any help is
greatly appreciated.

-Thanks in Advance

Tsunari