Re: aterm/eterm/any transparent capable term

Julie O'Donnell (jod@Rational.Com)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:42:04 -0500

sorry i forgot to cc the list on the error
here it is:

/home/jod/afterstep.src/aterm-0.3.2/src
        gcc -I /usr/include  -o aterm command.o graphics.o grkelot.o main.o
menubar.o misc.o  netdisp.o r
memset.o screen.o scrollbar2.o utmp.o xdefaults.o
ixmap.o  -L/usr/lib/X11R6  -lSM -lICE   -lX11
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
/usr/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   __builtin_va_start (code)
*** Error exit code 1

Stop.
/home/jod/afterstep.src/aterm-0.3.2/doc
/home/jod/afterstep.src/aterm-0.3.2/src/graphics

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Alcorn <alcornd@earthlink.net>
To: afterstep@linuxcenter.com <afterstep@linuxcenter.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 27, 1999 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: aterm/eterm/any transparent capable term

:Stimpy <chung@starnetinc.com> writes:
:
:> I saw some screen shots that seemed to do this but I later found out
:> that the poster used an identical background for the term and then
:> positioned the window to seem that the background was showing through
:> the term window.  This may not be possible yet.  Dont quote me on it
:> though.  If your trying to get this effect, the enlightenment win
:> manager maybe able to do this.
:> Good luck.  8)
:>
:
:This information was true about 6 months ago.  There has been a lot of
:work in this area.  Eterm/aterm/wterm all do a pseudo-transparency.
:This means that the X server has a property set that stores the
:background image.  When you open a pseudo-trans window, it checks this
:property and sets its background accordingly.  The difference between
:this and real transparency is significant, but the pseudo works really
:nice.
:
:As far as HP-UX goes, you should be able to get either aterm/eterm to
:compile.  We can certainly field questions on aterm in this list;
:Eterm would be better served elsewhere.
:
:However, I concur with the other followup: what compile time errors
:are you getting?
:
:--
: