Re: colormapping

Julie O'Donnell (jod@Rational.Com)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 08:17:46 -0500

well

here's my 'xdpyinfo | grep'  output:

[15501] $ xdpyinfo | grep depth
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
  depths (3):    1, 8, 16
  depth of root window:    8 planes
    depth:    8 planes
    depth:    8 planes

so it LOOKS to me like i should be able to get
16bpp - but i cant. Even when i edit
/etc/X11/X0screens (the config file) - the X server
reports in the log that is sees my request - does not complain -
but afterstep colormap is still screwed up and thinks
it's 8bpp.

the manual startx --16bpp attempts tell me i can
only have 8bpp....

if i run the HP native wm - and then an xcolormap
all looks good - i can opens tons of apps with
lots of colors....

but astep - no such luck

any other thoughts?