Re: [WM] aterm-0.2.0-1

Sasha Vasko (sashav@sprintmail.com)
Fri, 01 Jan 1999 22:11:59 -0600

Response to Mr. Largo accusations.

To all of you who is in the flame wars here, is my answer on all
this dumb
accusations. Read it, if you want, explain it to your friends,
and please
stop bothering me with that. I don't have any free time at hand,
as I noticed
Mr. Largo has. I work full 50 hours a week, I have a family to
take care of, and
that leaves me with very little time to contribute into Open
Source development.
>From that time I actively contribute in to AfterStep user
support, AfterStep window
manager development and now development of aterm. I have a TODO
list of several pages,
and every keystroke I waste on this, takes one keystroke from
the code I write.
I'd like to also mention here that #afterstep IRC channel is for
user support only -
and flooding it with flame war messages, helps Mr. Gates & Co a
lot in their World
domination achievement.

Now here is my answer to all of mr. Largo accusations:

1. I did not remove any copyright notice, nor modified license
of original
code. I even added some credits to Alfredo Kojima where it was
none before.
If developer chose not to mention his name  - that's his choice.
As long as GPL concerned there were no breaches whatsoever.

2. aterm is not just about pseudo transparency and NeXT
scrollbars, but is about
integration with AfterStep, which integration would be in place
already, if I would not
have to waste time on this letter.

3. quite some time was spent on fixing little bits and pieces
after Alfredo,
working on the tinting code, fixing usage and documentation and
messing with
configure and makefiles. That makes aterm quite a modification
even thou it looks
similar for inexperienced eyes of Mr. Largo. ( set aside that it
works differently :)

4. We are here not for Glory, but for better software. FRESHMEAT
announcements are not
glorification of something, but merely a means to let ppl know
about new products.
Besides FRESHMEAT announcement standard, do not have any place
to put the full list
of developers contributed in to the product - which list will be
very big in case of
aterm. There are more appropriate places for doing so - man
pages, source code and
ChangeLog.

5. Announcement has been made as the result of many requests
from users I received.

6. ChangeLog was always in doc/ directory. I've started new
ChangeLog due to
old one being GNU non-complient.

7. aterm's man page gets installed on "make install" command, so
everyone can type
"man aterm", and see whom we have to thank for wonderful NeXT
scrollbars and
Transparency.

8.  I'd like to say here that Alfedo Kojima is very good
developer, I respect him very
much, and I'd like to thank him for many good stuff he wrote. If
he'd like his name
mentioned in any other appropriate places of aterm distribution
- he is always welcome
to submit patch along with comments.

9. Alfredo Kojima never contacted me so far about this matter,
which makes me think
that this is nothing else then Flame War started by Window Maker
funs.
rxvt developers reaction on aterm was rather positive.

That's all

If any principle of Open Source Software has been violated in
aterm, I'd be happy to
hear from knowledgeable ppl, and consider all changes requested.

Any other correspondence about this matter will be directed to
/dev/null  without any
response, ppl flooding #afterstep with flames will be banned
forever, and devil will
take sender's soul *grin*.

Sasha.