Re: AfterStep vs. Window Maker

Albert Dorofeev albert@mail.dma.be
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:32:10 +0100 (CET)

Hello!

Ok, I'll try to keep down my temper on this one ...

KAPELLER Robert - CRP writes:
> I'm new to AfterStep (as well as to Window Maker) and have not installed it up to now.

I guess a lot of questions could be answered by simply doing
exactly that. You should install both and compare for yourself.

> .) Is the AfterStep dock compareable to the Window Maker one (DnD to dock apps...)?
>    If no: where are the differences?

I do not know how WM Dock works really, except that it swallows icons
(AFAIK) while AS Wharf swallows uniconified windows.
WM Dock can swallow things that you run and then drag to the Dock
while in AS you have to write a config file specifying what you want
to be there.

> .) Do the Window Maker docable apps run with AfterStep and vice versa?

WM applets run with AS and can be swallowed in the Wharf. Many AS
applets can be used in WM Dock but they have to be written in a
special way.

> .) I saw this cool make-a-menu-to-a-window function at Window Maker
>    (let the pop-up menu be permanently on the desk like a window). Has AS this
>    functionality? If not: is it planned to integrate it?

Yes, it does.

> .) Is there a WM-like 'clip' in AS or something compareable?

Sorry, I have no idea what the 'clip' is...

> .) How to make a desktop like in Windblows (application- and data-icons on the desk,
>    folders and subfolders, DnD at least within desktop...

If you like Win, you should try out fvwm95 which simulates the Win look
and feel. Wharf supports multiple folders and subfolders in AS.
Dnd is generally an issue of the applications. If two applications
support Dnd, you can drag something between them. Dnd is not a
window manager issue.

> .) Which wm, AS or WM would you prefer? (I know a silly question at a AS-mailing list...)

Good that you know :) Well, actually I tried to work under WM
for a while but after a few days I gave it up. It felt to me
like going back to Win (sorry, WM ppl) so I came back running :)
That was in the early days of WM though, maybe now it improved
beyond comprehension.

> .) What is the best development environment for AS? Is there somthing compareable to
>    KDE? (specific libs for common look and feel and or session management, multiligual...).

No idea. I guess there ain't one.

> Is there a kind of style guide for AS compliant apps? Is there at least something like a AS complient app? What widget set it used to ensure it? Is the NextStep lookalike (and feelalike) a goal of AS-apps? Are there AS-ified apps already? ...

I guess this is going to be my next project for the next week-end
then. I will write a "style guide" for what I like to see in the
applets :) You see, I can tell you what I like personally but this
maybe completely different from what you like. There are no real
requirements except that the application must be functional, bug-free,
extensively tested, consume very little memory and CPU, and be
an example of contemporary art. Besides that - you are free to choose :)
I personally prefer if you do not use widgets and write everything
in plain Xlib...

> You know what I mean. KDE and Gnome try to generate a common LnF by supporting style guides and libraries to the developers, but I found nothing equivalent with AS. I think to make your Linux Box NextStep like it is not enough to just replace the window manager. More like this the applications itself have to be NextStep-like.

Ppl may disagree with me but I will tell you anyway: I like the
configurability of AS a lot. I consider the look of it (however cool)
the second reason for my choice.

> p.S. is there a AS-developer mailing list? (I do not mean a list for AfterStep window manager developer, but for developer for applications run best under AS)?
> I'd like to know what have to be done to make a App 'dockable'.

There is no mailing list for the application development. All resources
you can find at www.tigr.net. You can mail me with specific questions
about the applet development. There is nothing "special" to do though.
Have a look at other applications and you'll see that besides the fancy
tricks nothing more than setting the window name is required.
That is for AS. Making things dockable in WM requires a bit more but
it is also very simple and can be cut-n-pasted from other apps.

Cheers!
Albert