Re: AfterStep vs. Window Maker

Andy Harrison (andy@nachoz.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:50:30 -0500 (EST)

On 12-Feb-99 Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Albert Dorofeev wrote:
>
>> It is not possible to have different Wharfs on different desktops.
>
> Actually, it occurs to me that it might be.
>
> One could design a MyWharf, and then in the databse file, set it as a
> "StartsOnDesk[n]".  Will this work?  I haven't tried (and don't really
> have a chance right now), but I can't think of a reason just now why not.
>
> Of course, you'd have to lose the "Sticky" designation as well for this to
> work.  And it would only work per desk, not per "pane" or "view" or
> whatever one likes to call it.

I love this idea.   I use four 4x4 desktops, one basically for stuff that I'm
doing only on my local machine, like ftp'ing, news, shells/terms, tkdesk, etc,
the next one strictly for office related functions, office e-mail, netscape
(for web based helpdesk software), applix, that sort of thing, then the next
for my system administration stuff, I run lots of shells/terms to other systems
as well remote x-apps and the like, and the last desktop for stuff I'm running
from my home linux box (where nachoz.com is :)

So, I think this is very cool idea.  I'd love to be able to have my main wharf
stay the same (i have wmifs wmmon pagers and couple other things I'd like to
have stuck), but maybe a 2nd wharf that changed.

It gets my vote for a new feature.

E-Mail:  Andy Harrison <andy@nachoz.com>
Date:  12-Feb-99
Time:  14:36:59