Re: single-desk Wharf (was AS vs WM)

Brandon Stewart (rostewa2@vt.edu)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:08:07 +0000

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Benjamin J. Tracy wrote:
>
> > *Except* for the fact that the original is still sticky and will also be
> > displayed on desk 2.
>
> Right.  I thought that was the idea: a "main" Wharf for the apps that
> range across desks, and a "clip" wharf that is only on one desk.  You
> still can't D'n'D to it, but everything else works.
>
> > The only real way to do this is to have 1 wharf for each _page_ not
> > desk, some of which may be the same.  That way you can remove the
> > sticky qualifier and have a whole to of flexibility.  (More than you
> > would want perhaps.
>
> Well, that'd work too, but you'd have to have several instances of the
> same stuff running if you had thing swallowed, which would be a real hit
> to the system.

Someone suggested implementing "wharf specific to desktop" as a nice
feature. I'd agree, except there should be a cleaner way of doing it
than the suggestions above. Why not just have an additional database
entry "SticksToDesk n". This would make it easy to make a separate wharf
for each desk (via links to the original file). But additionally, it
would allow similar things to be done with other apps. For example, some
person might be possessed to keep time with oclock on one desk, and
dclock on the next.