single-page Wharf( was single-desk Wharf (was AS vs WM))

Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:53:58 -0600

>On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Brandon Stewart wrote:

>> Someone suggested implementing "wharf specific to desktop" as a nice
>> feature.
>Ok, so I tried my suggestion.  It works, but it has a disadvantage.
>I set up a link from BWharf to Wharf, configured BWharf in my
>~/G/L/A/wharf file, and set it to go in the autoexec.
>In the database, I gave it these parameters:
>> Style   "BWharf"        StartsOnDesk 1, NoTitle, StaysOnBack,
>> WindowListSkip, NoHandles
>problem is twofold.  First, the "StartsOnDesk 1" setting forces AS to look
>at Desk 1 when starting up.  I'm sure this could be overcome, but it's a
>bit of a problem for now.

You should start something on desk 0 from the end of autoexec to overcome
this

>Second, and more important, making the BWharf not sticky (I ought to have
>anticipated this) means that it stays on its original "pane", so if you
>want a smaller Wharf on Desk 1, you'll get it only on one pane.
>Hope that's clear.

This all is good and clear, I'd like to use an occasion and thank Andrew
for all
his great help with FAQ and ML questions!

Here is some more information on the matter at hand :
It is actually possible to have different Wharf on each page of the desk.
To achieve this one should use ViewportX and ViewportY database settings,
when starting particular wharf.

For instance, if you have several 2x2 desks and you want 4 page-specific
Wharfs
on desk 1, you can do the following ( your resolution is 1024x768):
1) create symlinks to Wharf as Andrew suggested, like so:
ln -s /usr/local/bin/Wharf /usr/local/bin/1_1_Wharf
ln -s /usr/local/bin/Wharf /usr/local/bin/1_2_Wharf
ln -s /usr/local/bin/Wharf /usr/local/bin/1_3_Wharf
ln -s /usr/local/bin/Wharf /usr/local/bin/1_4_Wharf
2) create config for each one of those Wharfs ( again as Andrew suggested )
in ~/G/L/A/wharf;
3)Add following entries into the database :
Style   "1_1_Wharf"        StartsOnDesk 1, NoTitle, StaysOnBack,
WindowListSkip, NoHandles,
ViewportX 0, ViewportY 0
Style   "1_2_Wharf"        StartsOnDesk 1, NoTitle, StaysOnBack,
WindowListSkip, NoHandles,
ViewportX 1024, ViewportY 0
Style   "1_3_Wharf"        StartsOnDesk 1, NoTitle, StaysOnBack,
WindowListSkip, NoHandles,
ViewportX 0, ViewportY 768
Style   "1_4_Wharf"        StartsOnDesk 1, NoTitle, StaysOnBack,
WindowListSkip, NoHandles,
ViewportX 1024, ViewportY 768

( Each style on the single line , of course )
And start them all from autoexec.
You will have four different wharfs on the desk 1.

If done so, you'll see afterstep switching desks and pages as crazy on
startup - that's alright.

>Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (better)| ajsulliv@mcmaster.ca
(worse)

You all have a nice day