Re: single-desk Wharf (was AS vs WM)

Huaiyu Zhu (hzhu@uidaho.edu)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:59:20 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Brandon Stewart wrote:

> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> >
> Someone suggested implementing "wharf specific to desktop" as a nice
> feature. I'd agree, except there should be a cleaner way of doing it
> than the suggestions above. Why not just have an additional database
> entry "SticksToDesk n". This would make it easy to make a separate wharf
> for each desk (via links to the original file). But additionally, it
> would allow similar things to be done with other apps. For example, some
> person might be possessed to keep time with oclock on one desk, and
> dclock on the next.

Is it difficult to separate definition of an application from its
appearance?  Here's what I'd like in an "ideal world"

Type: Wharf
Name: Wharf1
Function: anything in here
Place: Desk1,open Desk3,icon

Type: Wharf
Name: Wharf2
Function: something else
Place: Desk2,open

The program should be written in such a way that Function and Place are
clearly separated.

--
Huaiyu Zhu                      Tel: 208 885 2928
Division of Statistics          Fax: 208 885 7959