Re: colormapping

Doug Alcorn (alcornd@earthlink.net)
01 Feb 1999 09:21:06 -0500

"Julie O'Donnell" <jod@Rational.Com> writes:

> well
>
> here's my 'xdpyinfo | grep'  output:
>
> [15501] $ xdpyinfo | grep depth
>     depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
>     depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
>   depths (3):    1, 8, 16
>   depth of root window:    8 planes
>     depth:    8 planes
>     depth:    8 planes
>

> so it LOOKS to me like i should be able to get
> 16bpp - but i cant. Even when i edit
> /etc/X11/X0screens (the config file) - the X server
> reports in the log that is sees my request - does not complain -
> but afterstep colormap is still screwed up and thinks
> it's 8bpp.

I concur with Andrew.  You need to look through the man page on X to
see what the setup file should look like (I know the X man pages are
some of the worst).

On XFree86, there is a "Screens" section that you give a parameter
"DefaultBitDepth 16" and all is well.  I figure there is something
similiar for your X server.

--

 (__)  Doug Alcorn
 oo /  alcornd@earthlink.net