RE: Patch Numbering Sceme [was RE: WinList / Transparent Pixmaps

Coplan (coplan@thunder.ocis.temple.edu)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:15:51 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> David Mihm wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Benjamin J. Tracy wrote:
> >!
> >! Would 1.7.37 patch 5 be equivalent to 1.7.42 which would obviously be
> the
> >! ultimate answer to all window manager issues, no?.
> >
> >	I'm not sure I understand what you are implying here.
>
> I think Benjamin might just be running AS on SuSE, which numbered its first
> experimental release 0.42 and its first commercial release 4.2, for reasons
> best known to Douglas Adams.

Much simpler than that...He's just assuming that patch five means it adds
five levels...thus add 5 to 37 (the last part of the version) and you get
42.  42 in hexedecmal, BTW, is "2B", if you're familiar with Shakespear,
and you know the context of the question...then it makes sense.

Coplan			  		/"\
------					\ / 	ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
Immortal Coil.Tracking			 X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
					/ \