Re: aterm intercepting console messages

Armando L. Caro Jr. (acaro@mail.eecis.udel.edu)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:18:23 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, David Mihm wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Armando L. Caro Jr. wrote:
>
> !
> ! I can't get it working.  I use 'aterm -C'... am I doing something wrong?
>
> 	Perhaps you aren't having any messages sent to the console.  If
> you have AfterStep strart with something like 'startx ~/.Xerrors 2>&1';
> which obviously (or not) sends all console messages to the ~/.Xerrors
> file.  Personally I prefer to have my ~/.xinitrc file with just
> '/path/afterstep' and use 'startx >/dev/console 2>&1'.  This way, AS
> itself, and all apps within AS which send messages to the console would be
> sent to whatever aterm had the -C option.

Well, I use xdm to start X, and I do have meesages sent to the console.
Starting X automatically starts up a default xconsole, and if I redirect
stuff to /dev/console I see it.  But if I start up an aterm to intercept
console meesages it doesn't get anything.

Armando L. Caro Jr.                                  acaro@cis.udel.edu
University of Delaware                   http://www.cis.udel.edu/~acaro