Re: aterm 0.3.3

Tomas Duewiger (td@music-satellite.de)
27 Feb 1999 21:14:32 +0100

paul@javagrounds.com writes:

> I have a newbie question (actually 2) I was hoping to get help on
>
> 1. I want to add aterm to my start menu, and possibly to start up when I
> start AfterStep. But I'm not sure how to do this, do I put this in
> autoexec?

To start aterm at startup you add something like this to ~/G/L/A/autoexec:

 Exec    "I"     exec aterm -vb &

Just put it at the end of 'Function "InitFunction"' not at the end of the
file, since you would only start it at restart.

To put it in your startmenu just cwd into the directory where you want it
and do something like:
echo "Exec \"Aterm\" exec aterm &" > 2_aterm
at your prompt. That will add an entry to the startmenu. To get it at a
different position you will have to change the number at the output file
(ie 3_aterm).

> 2. I want to use all the great new features of aterm, ie transparency,
> what file (location) do I need to edit. Also I was reading in the man
> pages (yes newbies do read them, we just don't understand them yet) that
> to get transparency I need to build it with --enable-transparency=yes I
> didn't do that when I first built it, how do I do that now?

aterm 0.3.3 got transparency enabled by default, you only need to execute
aterm with the -tr option like aterm -tr. You maybe want to put this also
into the startmenu, just append a -tr behind 'exec aterm'. Type aterm
-help to see some more option you can pass over to it.

HTH
Tomas

--
Tomas Duewiger