Re: aterm 0.3.3

Sean N. Roy (snr@cisunix.unh.edu)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:39:52 -0500

Paul,
    You can add aterm to the start menu by going to your afterstep/start
directory.  The directories under this one are the menus you see on your
start menu.  cd to the one you want to put it under, (I have mine in
Applications), or create a new one, like Terminals for instance.  Create
a file called 1_aterm or something like that.  Put the following into
that file:

Exec "Aterm" exec aterm parameters &
MiniPixmap "pixmap.xpm"

The first Exec makes a title which will show up in the start menu.  The
second one actually execs the program.  The minipixmap stuff is the icon
that will show up next to the menu item, I think, I don't normally use
it, so I don't remember.
   The best way to find this information is just to dig around the
Afterstep directory itself to see what configurations correspond to what
you are currently looking at in Afterstep.

As far as the enable transparency stuff goes, I'm pretty sure it's built
with transparency by default, so if you already compiled it, you
probably already have transparency enabled.

paul@javagrounds.com wrote:

> I have a newbie question (actually 2) I was hoping to get help on
>
> 1. I want to add aterm to my start menu, and possibly to start up when I
> start AfterStep. But I'm not sure how to do this, do I put this in autoexec?
>
> 2. I want to use all the great new features of aterm, ie transparency, what
> file (location) do I need to edit. Also I was reading in the man pages (yes
> newbies do read them, we just don't understand them yet) that to get
> transparency I need to build it with --enable-transparency=yes  I didn't do
> that when I first built it, how do I do that now?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give,
>
> Paul
>
> --
>    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/

Sean N. Roy [snr@cisunix.unh.edu sroy@cabletron.com]

"From a programmer's point of view, the user is a peripheral that types
when you issue a read request." -Peter Williams