Re: Two Wharfs

Dave LaMothe (dlamothe@generation.net)
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 00:23:39 -0500 (EST)

Marc,

I'm not sure the "link" part of your question is the question you really need
answered. A complete answer to the question of whether a file and its link is
the same file could spill into philosophy. Moreover, my knowledge of the real
inner workings of links is wildly innadequate. The bottom line is you need to
create a symbolic link to the Wharf *binary* which you'll probably find under
/usr/local/bin. The link, say MyKillerWharf, should also reside under
/usr/local/bin. The name you pick for the link will be the one to
use in the *lines* of your "one-and-only" Wharf config file, called "wharf",
which you'll find, ideally, under ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep. I'm assuming
here that you have the config files copied under ~GNUstep/Library/AfterStep
(for system wide use they also exist under /usr/local/share/afterstep but if
you have them in your home directory there's no need to change these; your
"personal" config files will override the global ones.) So assuming the paths
I've mentionned above, you'd end up with the following:

/usr/local/bin/Wharf  (the original Wharf binary)
/usr/local/bin/MyKillerWharf  (the symlink you created)
~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/wharf (the config file for all wharfs)

At this point all that needs to be done is to start editing ~/G/L/A/wharf.
Following my example this wharf config file might have lines like:

*WharfTextureType                128
*MyKillerWharfTextureType   128
*WharfPixmap                         Tile.Mar7.xpm
*MyKillerWharfPixmap            Tile.Dec30.xpm
*WharfGeometry                     -0+0  #top right to bottom right
*MyKillerWharfGeometry        -0-0  #bottom right to bottom left

I hope the explicitness of all this does *not* come off sounding condescending.
I'm just a 40+ year old doing an honours degree in philosophy and have had to
learn that obtuseness doesn't cut it. One old prof told us that ignoring
lexicality, linguisticality, structure, composition, detail, and
comprehensiveness is sufficient evidence that we are either wildly indolent,
radically stupid, or both.

Cheers,
Dave.

02-Feb-99