Re: Aterm and tail...

Martin DiViaio (martindiviaio@erols.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 03:40:40 -0500

Coplan wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, David Mihm wrote:
>
> >       Console messages are caught by 'startx >/dev/console 2>&1' then in
> > X using '<termname> <-otheroptions> -C'.  Adjust the -name for what you
> > wish and make the appropriate entries in the database file for NoTiiles
> > and NoHandles and such.
> >
> That worked for root.  Is there a way to get it to work for regular users?
> I keep getting an "Ambiguous output redirect."  This only happens when I'm
> logged in as a regular user...and /dev/console is set to rw for world.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for, but this works for me
when I need to know what errors are printing.

I start my x session like this:

startx > xerrors 2>&1

Then I just open aterm (or what ever) and use the following:

tailf xerrors

--or--

tail -f xerrors

--
                    /)-._    Time : Wed Mar 17 03:25:07 1999
                   Y. ' _]