Re: Aterm and tail...

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 01:46:32 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Coplan wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Martin DiViaio wrote:
>
> > I start my x session like this:
> >
> > startx > xerrors 2>&1
>
> It's at this statment that I get the "Ambiguous redirect."  Logged in as
> root, I can do this fine, and the -C option in aterm works fine.  However,
> logged in as myself, I can't do it.  Granted I'm new to linux...but I
> believe all the necessary files and devices are permissioned properly.

Notice that Martin is piping the output of startx to a regular file
rather than a device (such as /dev/console).  Try something like:

startx > ~/.xerrors 2>&1
aterm -tr -T "roottail" +sb -g +0+0 -bg blue4 -cr black -e tail -f ~/.xerrors

... and have an entry in your database config like:

Style "roottail" NoTitle, NoHandles, NoFocus, Sticky, WindowListSkip, StaysOnBack

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com
http://members.xoom.com/allanon1