RE: All RIGHT!

Dave LaMothe (dlamothe@generation.net)
Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:48:19 -0500 (EST)

Since you compiled AS yourself, you might want to consider going for the latest
developer snapshot (1.7.49). The developers have been real busy since 1.6.x and
it contains many new desirable options such as translucent (or transparent
with shading) tile bars, pager, winlist, and Wharf, just to highlight some eye
candy (eye caviar?). You can check the changelog at www.afterstep.org for the
many other new features. It's perfectly "stable" on my system as well as
others' I'm sure. Moreover, the man pages reflect the changes, as far as I have
searched. It also implements some changes in the way AS is configured so you
might want to adopt these new approaches now, approaches you'll probably want
to adopt with the next 'officially' stable release. The only caveat is that it
is not, I believe, officially supported by the developers. Of course, untill a
month ago, that's what the mainstream was saying about Linux! Pooh! There are
many very helpful people on the list, and alas, I'm not even one of them (too
new at this).

Dave.

On 01-Mar-99 Tricia Kirk wrote:

> Now I really like it.  I'll have to go back to the docs
> and see if I can figure out how I missed that.  The new
> Wharf has several features that I've been wanting.
>
> Thanks,
> Tricia
>
> On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Dave LaMothe wrote:
>

>> On 01-Mar-99 Tricia Kirk wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm just upgrading from 1.0 to 1.6.10, and I love it!
>> > I especially like the flat look of the new Wharf.
>> > But...  I like to have the most horizontal room on my
>> > screen that I can get, so I put the Wharf on the bottom
>> > as one row by as many columns as I have apps/icons.  How
>> > do I get my folders to open "perpendicular" to the Wharf
>> > as advertised in the man page?  They insist on opening
>> > horizontally no matter what I do.  All my folders open
>> > so that the outermost icon is in the rightmost slot on
>> > screen.  I've searched all the docs I can find but I
>> > haven't seen anything about this kind of problem.  Am
>> > I the only one who uses a horizontal Wharf? :)  I can
>> > provide details about my system, how I compiled, etc.
>> > if that'll help.
>> >
>> > Tricia
>>

>> *WharfColumns are for vertical Wharfs (you can have numerous Wharfs now),
>> and
>> these folders open up horizintally, as you're experiencing.
>> If all you want is a horizontal Wharf, comment out *WharfColumns and just
>> have
>> *WharfRows 1, whose folders will open vertically.
>>
>> Dave.
>>

>> 01-Mar-99
>> 14:04:51

01-Mar-99