Re: which look/feel?

Daniel Clausen (cld@europay.telekurs.com)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 16:37:14 +0100

Hi,

rex@dubbus.com wrote:

> when I start up AfterStep it seems to load a different look&feel
> file(s) than when I update all, where is it that these files are
> determined?

There are 2 places where feel files are stored.

(a) ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/feels/<feel-file>
(b) (INSTALL_DIR)/share/afterstep/feels/<feel-file>

The INSTALL_DIR is the directory where the afterstep-stuff is
installed. If you compiled the package it's the '--prefix' that
you specified. If you didn't specify it or used an rpm, it's
prolly somewhere in /usr/local/.

Now, what happens if you "update all" or "update startmenu" from
afterstep: First, afterstep looks for some feel files in place (a).
If there are none, afterstep looks for some feel files in place (b).

If you choose a feel (with Start->Desktop->Feel), the approriate
file will be used. Note that when you intend to change a feel-file,
it's a good idea to first copy it from (a) to (b) and then make
the changes. This way the system-wide installation of afterstep
won't be affected.

I hope my explanation didn't confuse you more than it helped.
I guess I'd be a bad doc-writer. ;) If I said something wrong,
please correct me.

cu,
 -sargon

--
Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for
long hours in doing whatever you think is worth doing.