Re: Disabled items on start menu

Coplan (coplan@thunder.ocis.temple.edu)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 19:24:54 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Jon Bass wrote:

> My Start Menu has several disabled (grayed) out entries -- i.e. 'AfterStep
> documentation' and 'Applications/E Terminal'.

AfterStep Documentation is in HTML format in the Documents directory of
Afterstep.  If you don't have any HTML browsers, then it may not work.
Also...what version of Afterstep do you have?  For some reason, one older
version of Afterstep never fully installed the Document files.

As for the other greyed out items, you either don't have those programs,
don't have access to those programs, or the permissions aren't set right.
I imagine it would be the first...because the Start menu is typically set
by default as purely an example to learn from.

> When I add to the Start Menu, the newly added items are grayed out and can't
> be selected. Why are these items disabled and how do I enable them?

The line in the newly added items should read something along the lines
of:

Exec "title of application" exec name_of_application &

Case is important here.  Otherwise, the program may not work right.  Also
check paths and make sure it is set in your PATH.

Coplan			  		/"\
------					\ / 	ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
Immortal Coil.Tracking			 X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
					/ \