Re: Status of the FAQ

Greg Anderson (Nifft@FutureRealms.com)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:23:32 -0500

Coplan wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Greg Anderson wrote:
>
> > FAQ suggestion from a newbie.
> > It would be helpful if the FAQ was broken up into sections
> > that applied to each version of AfterStep.  As new users
> > come up to speed, they only really need to know FAQs
> > pertaining to the release of AfterStep they have loaded on
> > their systems.  This would greatly reduce the verbiage one
> > has to skim through to get at the nuggets of info that
> > explains x y or z-whatever to the interested new user.
> > This means a person can come up to speed faster on tweaking
> > there copy of AfterStep.
> >
> Unless I misunderstand...I would have to disagree with you there.  First
> of all, FAQs tend to be something that really only applies to Newbies.
> Not that new features no longer baffle long-time users...rather they have
> different methods of solving problems.  I will admit, I havn't looked at
> an Afterstep FAQ for a very long time.  REally serious problems that come
> up anymore aren't answered there anyhow.  I gotta ask the gurus.  =)

Just take a look at
4.6 How do I change my startmenu?
in the FAQ.  There is information for versions 1.2, 1.4.5 and 1.5.  That's
one example of the copious verbiage a newbie wades through when looking for
a simple bit if information.
On the whole, I give the FAQ an A though.  I like the tone of it.  Each
question is answered without prejudice.  For example the faqtoid dealing
with Window Maker just politely points you to information about it even
though it would appear Window Maker is a competing Window Manager.