Re: Desktop...

Bruce Richardson (brichardson@lineone.net)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:43:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999, Coplan wrote:

> I think it would be nice if I could save things to a given desktop.  Not
> shortcuts, per-se, but at least clickable.  I like to download things and
> slap them in plain site so that I don't forget I downloaded something.  Is
> this something that could happen in afterstep?

You want a desktop manager.  AfterStep is a _window_ manager.  I use DFM
quite a bit - it works fine with AfterStep but you have to click on the
desktop with the middle mouse button before you can click for a menu (and
that's not in the documentation.  You can get DFM from the Red Hat
Powertools collection (if your are running Red Hat) or try the rpm
database at rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM for a range of distros - in fact, try
rufus anyway, you get far better connection speeds.

Install DFM, then add it to ~/G/L/A/autoexec and it'll run every time you
start AfterStep.

Alternatively, you could run Gnome with AfterStep, although I think it's
going to be a little while before that becomes a practical option: Gnome
development has to become more stable before the AS developers will be
willing to put in the extra time.