Re: reference question

Greg Anderson (Nifft@FutureRealms.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:39:41 -0500

Ron McConn wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
>         Oh no another newbie.  I am just getting back into the swing of Unix
> (Linux) after 8 years absence, started back in with SGI Irix and have
> RedHat Linux at home.  I was a student programmer on Ultrix/Digital Unix
> and then got forced to learn Windows when I entered the corporate world
> (lucky me).  I would like suggestions on where to get started with
> configuration information which I've forgotten (both of Linux and
> Afterstep).  I'd like a reference that talks about all the basics so I can
> pick this up as quick as possible.  I am going through the FAQs for
> Afterstep but wondered if there was another good reference someone in the
> community might suggest.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Take care,
>
>         Ron M.
>
> Ronald J. McConn, Jr.

  I've found the /usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/HOWTO-INDEX-1.html and the
/usr/doc/HOWTO/other-formats/html/mini/ directory very helpful. If you
installed
Redhat, you should have those files.  The Afterstep FAQ is good but falls far
short of walking a newbie by the hand. This means one has to spend hours
learning what would be obvious to someone else.  This mailing list seems to
be the best bet for help on questions that are not explained fully enough in
the FAQ, but while waiting for a response be sure to search

http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml

DejaNews is an excellent source.  It's amazingly fast when you think about the
volume of old messages it is searching through.

Finally there is a irc #AfterStep group. I have found answers to some of my
questions there. I connect through irc-e.irc.lightning.net

--Greg Anderson
http://www.futurerealms.com