Re: AfterStep 1.6.10-1 Backgrounds question / problem

Bruce Richardson (brichardson@lineone.net)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:53:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, cajun wrote:

> Can someone tell me where/how to update the start menu when there is no
> menu option for it ?

AfterStep uses a directory-tree (*1) to build it's menu.  The result is
stored
in ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/startmenu.  This file is only rebuilt if a) it
is not present when you start AfterStep (i.e. yu deleted it or this is
the first time you ran AS) or b) you execute the "Update startmenu" menu
option.  NOTE - I gather the development version adds a command-line
option.

Obviously, you can only choose option a) in your situation.

The question is, why don't you have the option?  Are you running AS 1.6.x?
Or is it 1.4.x?  If it's the latter on a Red Hat system then you don't
have the option because wmconfig is overwriting the AS menus with Red Hat
ones.

*1 the default tree is in /usr/share/afterstep/start or
/usr/local/share/afterstep/start, depending on the version you are using.
If you create ~/G/L/A/start then the default menu tree is ignored.