Re: Missing sounds?

Greg Anderson (Nifft@FutureRealms.com)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 08:24:04 -0500

Tyrin Price wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 01:03:49AM -0600, David Mihm sent
>
> >       In my opinion, sound is highly annoying and gets in the way of
> > actually getting work done.  As for the 'missing sounds', they are not
> > missing and the audio file was provided as an example.  I have never seen
> > these sound files shipped with AS, and I started with 1.0.  The file has
> > just continuously gone out the door without any modifications.  Since I
> > don't use sound, I rarely test or edit this file.  I suppose we should
> > make a change on the next release. :)
>
> Yes, sound can be annoying... however, I believe that a carefully
> constructed sound "scheme" can enhance the working environment.

I concur. Sound can and does make it more fun:) I downloaded
http://www.tigr.net/afterstep/sounds/sound_effects.tar.gz
and had fun listening to them.  I've written a simple bash script to play
all the sound files in a directory.  It prints the name of the sound
file to the xterm you ran it from so if you hear one you like, you'll
know which .au file it came from.  It's a quick way to listen to a
tar ball of sounds you've downloaded to see if there are any gems you
would like to keep.  Here's the bash script:
cut
-------------
#!/bin/bash

files='*.au'

#Changing the IFS allows for spaces in filenames
#This normally would screw up bash word spliting
#so it is inclosed in () to limit it to this loop
#in the script.
(IFS='\n'
for sound in `find -name "$files" -print|sort`
  do echo $sound;
  cat $sound >/dev/audio;
done
)