Re: Setting Backgrounds & aterm

cajun (cajun@tdl.com)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 02:07:16 -0800

Well Steve, I'll try to help here.  YMMV as I'm somewhat of a newbie.

My backgrounds probably aren't cool as they are pictures of babes.  Oh
well, we can all be cool.

Now, I believe that your 64x64 images are MUCH too small to be
'expanded' to fill your desktop without looking like crap.  You need to
start with an image that's much larger.  The images in your /backgrounds
directory that are of a size of ~130 bytes or so are tiled to fill the
screen to form the background.  Now if you wanted a picture of a
spaceship well say (yuck), then you'd need to start out with something
that fills a good portion of your screen to start with.  Then with xv,
you could probably scale the picture up to where it would fill the
screen and still look reasonable, or even have a border around it.

As for the directory structure, I can say that if you're running RH,
that may be your problem as RH has 'enhanced' the way AS runs.

Yes aterm can be as transparent as any other terminal program that I'm
aware of.  Now I understand that it's not REALLY transparent, but it
just seems that way.  Here's the command line I run in my wharf for a
transparent aterm:

  *Wharf T-aterm linux-penguin.xpm Exec "-" aterm -fn 7x14bold -fg white
-tr &

Again, I'm somewhat of a newbie, so I hope that I've understood your
questions and informed you correctly.

Mike