Re: libjpeg problesm.

Tyson La Tourrette (tower@oit.pdx.edu)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 18:15:50 -0800 (PST)

On 28 Mar 1999, Doug Alcorn wrote:

> Tyson La Tourrette <tower@oit.pdx.edu> writes:
>
> > I am trying to compile 1.6.10 or 1.7.74 onto solaris. No matter what I do
> > i can not get the configure script to recognize my libjpeg libraries. I
> > downloaded and installed the ones mentioned on the AS webpage (ver 6.2). I
> > run configure with the "--with-jpeg-library=/u/tcl/usr/lib" arguement
> > (that is the dir my libjpeg.so and libjpeg.a files are) and i still get
> > the error "afterstep requires libjpeg version 6.0 or later" and jpeg
> > support is disabled. The lib dir is in my lib path. Any idea what could be
> > wrong?
> >
> I am going to try and take a stab at this.  First, are you root on
> this solaris box?  If yes, you need to be sure that you run 'ldconfig'
> after you install the libjpeg.  This will add the jpeg libraries into
> the list of those available for linking.  If you are not root, I am
> guessing that you will need to set an environment variable (probably
> something like LD_LIBRARY_PATH) to tell the linker where to find the
> jpeg libraries.

I am not root and have set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH. (see bottom of message for
value).

On 28 Mar 1999, Dave Taira wrote:

> Doug Alcorn <alcornd@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > On another note, I am not sure what the --with-jpeg-library really
> > does.  I don't know if it is expecting the directory of libjepg or the
> > actual library (ie, /u/tcl/usr/lib/libjpeg...).
>
> It's expecting the directory. I've compiled AS a few times on Solaris
> boxen, and if I'm not root, I end up installing the xpm and jpeg libs
> in $HOME/lib, the includes in $HOME/include, and for AS, doing
>
>  ./configure --prefix=$HOME --with-xpm-library=$HOME/lib \
>  --with-xpm-include=$HOME/include --with-jpeg-library=$HOME/lib \
>  --with-jpeg-include=$HOME/include
>
> Oh, and I've got LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib"
> plus whatever else is the norm for that environment.

Below are my settings and files. Could someone do reality check on them?

./configure --prefix=${HOME}/usr \
  --with-desktops=1 --with-deskgeometry=3x8 \
  --with-xpm-library=/pkgs/image-toolz/lib \
  --with-xpm-include=/pkgs/image-toolz/include \
  --with-jpeg-library=${HOME}/usr/lib \
  --with-jpeg-include=${HOME}/usr/include \
  --with-png=no

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${HOME}/usr/lib:/pkgs/image-toolz/lib:...

Contents of ${HOME}/usr/lib
libjpeg.a  libjpeg.so@  libjpeg.so.62.0.0*  libjpeg.la*  libjpeg.so.62@

The links are to libjpeg.so.62.0.0

Contents of ${HOME}/usr/include
jconfig.h  jerror.h  jmorecfg.h  jpeglib.h

Thanks

Tyson