Re: Setting Backgrounds & aterm

Coplan (coplan@thunder.ocis.temple.edu)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:39:36 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Steve Ki-Won Lee wrote:

> When checking out some of the screenshots of some of the fellow ASers, I
> noticed that they'll have one big image, be it some cool shot of a planet
> or a terrain as just one big pic as the background and can someone please
> tell me how they were able to achieve that?

One big image the size of your desktop.  Check out one of my favorite
sites:  http://www.digitalblasphemy.com

Lots and lots of background images (you'll recognize a lot of them from
the screenshots).  You could also take your standard windows BMPs and
convert them to JPG or XPM.  XPM is a larger file.  JPG sometimes returns
an error "Not enough scanlines" but otherwise displays properly.

> becomes big enough to fill my screen, it becomes all grainy and ugly.

Yup...you don't want to resize images that much, especially from small to
large.  What its doing is trying to extrapolate the data from something.
It's essentially taking all the dithering, and blowing it up a bit.  From
far away, it'll look fine, but not for your computer while you're at it.
Rule of thumb...if the image is smaller, don't increase the size too much.
You might just want to increase the canvas size, and just have a border.

Cheers,

Coplan                                  /"\
------                                  \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
Immortal Coil.Tracking                   X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
                                        / \