Re: Quick Question (I hope)

Bruce Richardson (brichardson@lineone.net)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 19:06:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, Coplan wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Mar 1999, D Bailey wrote:
>
> > Anyone that is not rpm , as rpm is redhats package manager
> > Oddysey
> >
> This is not true.  RPMs work on other systems as well.  I'm not sure if
> Slackware supports it, but if you have rpm software stock with your
> system, I imagine you can use them.  MAke sure that you get one that suits
> your processor type and OS type (linux, unix, etc).
>
> Debian and SuSE handle rpms very well...so it isn't just for redhat
> anymore.  I would still recommend installing form source, because it tends
> to do a better job IMHO (even on pure redhat systems).

If you mean source rpm as opposed to binary rpm then I agree with you -
you guarantee to link against the libraries you actually have installed.

If you mean source tarball is better than source rpm, I have to disagree.
There is nothing you can do with the source tarball you can't do with the
src.rpm.  After all, a source rpm _is_ a source tarball plus patches and
some macros.  Hacking the source is no more difficult with the src.rpm and
you get the benefit of the rpm book-keeping.