XPM loading problem (libXPM)

Derick Wong (derickwong@hotmail.com)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 15:18:52 MYT

I'm still stuck with the Script program. However, I manage to execute
AfterStep after recompilation. This time around, I encounter the
following errors :

LoadImage: cannot load XPM file
[$HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/desktop/icons/8bpp/Bookshelf.xpm]
LoadImage: you need to install libXPM v 4.0 or higher, in order to read
images of this format.

FYI, I've downloaded libXPM-4.7.tar.gz and extracted the files. I used
$HOME/xpm-3.4g/a.out as my XPM librarie directory which include libXpm.a
and libXPM.4.7.so and the compilation went successfully. But I still
have the same problem.

AfterStep manages to run albeit without the necessary XPM graphic files.
Surprisingly, Netscape managed to execute without any problem. I can
also Quit AfterStep. The rest of the programs cannot be executed.

BTW, I'm using AfterStep 1.6.10 on SunOS 4.1.4

Thanks in advance.

>From: David Mihm <davemann@ionet.net>
>To: afterstep@linuxcenter.com
>Subject: Re: Compilation and execution problem
>Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:24:47 -0600 (CST)
>From majordom-afterstep-owner-derickwong=hotmail.com@rim.caldera.com
Fri Mar 26 10:29:00 1999
>Sender: majordom-afterstep-owner@linuxcenter.com
>
>On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Derick Wong wrote:
>
>! Hi,
>!
>! I'm a newbie to AfterStep. I encounter problems compiling the Script
>! program in src/Script directory. The rest of the source compiles
>! successfully. I attach the error messages below :
>
>[snip Script compilation error]
>
>	I don't know why Script is not compiling for you, I'd suggest
>using ./configure --disable-Script , you won't miss it imo.
>
>! I also face problem running AfterStep. Even though I changed the
>! execution path from the default /usr/local/bin to $HOME/afterstep,
the
>! changes was not reflected when I execute AfterStep. It indicates the
>! file /usr/local/share/afterstep/base.8bpp was not found.
>!
>! I used "configure --prefix=$HOME/afterstep" to change the default
>! execution path. When I checked the configure.h file, the new path is
>! indicated there. Can someone show me where I went wrong?
>
>	The README has been modified a bit due to this confusion, it now
>states:
>
>If you can't become root, you will have to change systems-wide
>installation paths to someplace from your PATH where you have permisson
>write by using the appropriate paths to the following ./configure
options.

>  --prefix=PRE            install architecture-independent files in PRE
>                          [/usr/local]
>  --bindir=DIR            user executables in DIR [PRE/bin]
>  --datadir=DIR           read-only architecture-independent data in
DIR
>                          [PRE/share]
>  --mandir=DIR            man documentation in DIR [PRE/man]
>
>Make sure these directories exist before you start the configure,
>otherwise you'll have one file called bin, one called man, etc. :)
Begin