Re: Installing Afterstep and Themes

Doug Alcorn (alcornd@earthlink.net)
08 Mar 1999 22:06:07 -0500

Coplan <coplan@thunder.ocis.temple.edu> writes:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Michael Martin wrote:
>

> > Question 2.).
> > What exactly should be in the ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep directory?
> > Should I already have a desktop/themes directory?
> > Should I already have the winlist files, etc.?
> >
> The system-wide theme (set with su access) is located in
> /usr/local/share/afterstep/ directories.  That includes the wharf file,
> autoexec, start directory, etc....  If you, as a regular user, deviate
> from that and make any sort of change in your own personal preferences,
> then it should show up in your ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep directory.
> If you don't use the Afterstep Control Panel, then it's probably easiest
> to just drop all the files (not directories) in there and edit them as you
> please.  I personally like to edit the system wide files, as su, then just
> update my menus.

This is a Bad Idea.  You should leave the system defaults as that,
defaults.  You never know when you will really pork something up and
want to back to the defaults.  It's like /etc/profile.  Rarely do you
add stuff there, but rather to ~/.bash_profile.

Also, the theme.handler will not work on system default configs.  So,
in order to use the installastheme.pl, you must copy the files to
~/g/l/a (note shorthand).  I may fix that some time in the future.  If
I do, it will probably be to automatically copy the file from /u/l/s/a
to ~/g/l/a.

--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn
 oo /  alcornd@earthlink.net