Re: Back to AfterStep

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:11:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Paul Huckaby wrote:

> I strayed from AfterStep to gnome and I'm sorry, I want to come back.
> How do I stop gnome and Enlightenment  from starting up and make
> AfterStep start up? Please help, AfterStep was working great and I got
> sucked into the hype of gnome.

You don't actually have to give up GNOME to use AS, it's just that most of
the GNOME features won't work as you might want.  E is a pig, it's true.

What you want to do is change your .xinitrc.  I don't actually know what's
in there now, since I haven't room for GNOME on my drives right now.  But
what it _should_ say (to use AS) is in the FAQ and the README for AS.

This is different, of course, if you use Red Hat.  I have no idea what
wmconfig does with GNOME and E, and sort of don't want to.  (My suggestion
in that case is to remove wmconfig from your system, and config X the way
God intended you to.  But for an alternate view, see the FAQ.)

                                   *  *  *
  Go to http://www.afterstep.org/help.html to find the AfterStep FAQ file