Re: aterm

Simon Drabble (simond@foxlink.net)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 09:13:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, cajun wrote:

> Myself and someone else on the list had similar problems.  Try
> reinstalling the rpm for X and see if that cures it.
>
> YMMV
> Mike

This was following an X upgrade (to 3.3.3) from source. It seems that some
*terms interpret PgUp & PgDown differently. I have managed to get BS and
DEL working in most of 'em, but then the behaviour changes in vi.

I think my problem was I blew away the xterm-color when I upgraded X - so
far I've only managed to find a version with a right-handed scroll bar.

So, to reiterate my original question, is there anything I can do with
aterm itself? Where in the source should I look?

Simon.

> Simon Drabble wrote:
> >
> > Yes, another aterm problem I'm afraid. I've been fighting with xmodmap
> > since upgrading X and installing aterm, to try and get the keys mapped to
> > how I had them when using nxterm.
> >
> > I want the following mappings, which all work fine in nxterm
> >
> > Key                Shell Action                'vi' Action
> > Backspace          delete char to left         delete char to left
> >                    of cursor, and move         of cursor, and move
> >                    cursor left                 cursor left
> > Delete             delete char to left         delete char to right
> >                    of cursor, and move         of cursor [1]
> >                    cursor left
> > Page Up            Page up through xterm       Nothing (use ctrl-b)
> >                    buffer
> > Page Down          Page down through xterm     Nothing (use ctrl-f)
> >                    buffer
> > [1] - or as for backspace
> >
> > But try as I might, and fight with xmodmap and xkeycaps, I can't get the
> > behaviour I want.
> >
> > Is there something I need to set in aterm? A compile-time option maybe? Or is
> > this an Xresource thing?
> >
> > Please someone, help, as I rilly love aterm - transparent is *great* - and it
> > seems to take less memory than nxterm, but if I can't get the keys mapped
> > correctly, to the trash it will go.
> >
> > Simon.
> >
> > --
> >  "It's my own damn business how much beer I have."
> >
> >    Simon Drabble                      Somewhere in cyberspace
> >
> > --
> >    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
> >    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
> >    MAIL:  http://www.caldera.com/linuxcenter/forums/afterstep.html
>
> --
>    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/

  "Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes."

   Simon Drabble                      Somewhere in cyberspace