Re: AfterStep 1.6.10-1 Backgrounds question / problem

Curtis Bledsoe (curtb@iquest.net)
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 23:09:15 -0500 (EST)

Ther are a number of ways to fix the menus under RH 5.2

You can create ~/.Xclients as mentioned on DejaNews but the path they give
is wrong for RH. On RH it should be /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep

You can edit "/usr/X11R6/bin/RunWM" so that the Start_AfterStep function
looks like this.
function Start_AfterStep () {
# we have to start up afterstep
  if [ -x /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep ] ; then
    if [ ! -d $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep ] ; then
      mkdir -p $HOME/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep
      wmconfig --output=afterstep --directories  2>/dev/null
    fi
    env > "$HOME"/Xrootenv.0
    # if this works, we stop here
    eval "exec /usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep" > "$HOME"/.AfterStep-errors 2>&1
  else
    cat <<EOF
 WARNING: You selected AfterStep as your window manager, but your
installation
 of AfterStep does not appear to be functional. Either
/usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep
 was not found or /usr/share/afterstep directory is incomplete.
EOF
  fi
    echo "RESUMING with Fvwm2 (95 look)" >&2
    Start_Fvwm95
}

You can edit /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients
You can wright a new "/usr/X11R6/bin/RunWM"

and I am shure there are more but I think this is a difrent problem then
the missing custom backgrounds he now has.

from curtb@iquest.net on 07-Apr-99

For love of family, code, and carpentry