Re: Wharfable ISP dialer?

Greg Anderson (Nifft@FutureRealms.com)
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:34:42 -0400

Tomas Duewiger wrote:

> Greg Anderson <Nifft@FutureRealms.com> writes:
>
> >   I'll give Suse a try next time I need to do a major upgrade.  Anyone
> > have a Suse rant?
>
> Suse handles some things quite strange. I used both RedHat and Suse (and
> more ;) ) and on Suse some things are very different. This starts with
> locations of directories (INN for example) and strange scripts and ends
> with Yast the tool that overwrites your changes. Okay, I used Suse 5.1 and
> you can turn off Yast, so maybe some things changed. It's not a bad
> distribution but IMO it's not better than RedHat.
>
> One IMO quite bad thing is that they mix commercial with free software so
> you can't copy the CDs easily!
>
> >  Does Suse work well with AS?
>
> Yes.
>
> >  What distribution(s) is(are) well documented?
>
> Debian I would say, though I don't miss something on RedHat ;)

What do you mean by "...though I don't miss something on RedHat?"

> Give Debian a try it's cheap and if you don't like it you supported the
> free software world with your money even if you don't want to keep it.

I had a look at the  http://www.debian.org/ site.  I liked the tone of
their web page.  The RedHat site seems to be always trying to sell me
a solution.  Not why I wanted to use Linux.  I think it's great for
people to make a buck of off Linux, I just don't like it when they make
it difficult for the end user to get/find help on their enhancements.
Makes it to much like commercial software.  I also hate greed.  Netscape
was a fine program and company until they got greedy.  They should have
figured out a way to distribute Netscape for 5 bucks a pop and stayed
a small company.  They'd still be innovating today if they had, and the
people working their would still be having a good time at it.  Check out
http://www.jwz.org/gruntle/nomo.html for a great Netscape rant. I came
to Linux via RedHat, but from what I've seen of it so far, the Debian
web site seems more devoted to the open source concept.

--

Greg Anderson
http://www.FutureRealms.com/