Re: Wharfable ISP dialer?

Bruce Richardson (brichardson@lineone.net)
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 20:02:59 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Greg Anderson wrote:

> I came
> to Linux via RedHat, but from what I've seen of it so far, the Debian
> web site seems more devoted to the open source concept.

Given that Red Hat include the source for everything in their distribution
and refuse to include _anything_ that isn't GPL'd (or as near as possible)
I don't see what you're getting at.  It was Red Hat's stance that forced
Trolltech to open up the license for QT.  Red Hat have a lot of commercial
muscle now (compared to some of the other Linux distributors, that is) but
the only way they have flexed their muscles is to say "If it isn't open
source, we won't distribute it".  I'd hardly call that an abuse of their
power.

You can make free copies of Red Hat CD's with no fear of prosecution.
Can't say that about SuSE, to name but one.

As for complaining that Red Hat are trying to sell you something - of
course they are!  That's how they pay the staff.  To quote Richard
Stallman - it's free software as in "Freedom of speech", not free beer.