Re: java programming for X

Ewan Dunbar (northsky@ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:28:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Donald Lee wrote:

> I don't know if this is proper place to ask this question but I think
> I may be interested in learning how to program in java.  I have some
> personal experience using Turbo C 3.0, a little VAX pascal from
> college and about a year ago I made some silly little programs in
> Visual Basic 5.  I am hardly an expert but I feel I could make a good
> programmer if I had some inspiration and guidance.  Right now I'm
> still not sure what java really is... Is it for downloading applets
> off the internet only or can you make stand alone apps that just run
> on the machine?  How can I find out more about java in terms of using
> it with linux and afterstep?

There's a pretty good book published by Sams called "Teach Yourself Java
(version) in 21 days". There are editions of this book for Java 1.02, Java
1.1, and Java2. 1.02 is still the safest version as far as applets (small
programs that run in a web browser) go. 1.1 is fine for applications, and
possibly applets, if you know the user has a very new browser.
Unfortunately, most applets are too new for anyone running Netscape
3, and Netscape 4.0x, x < 8, only supports Java 1.02. Most people who have
the JDK have version 1.1.x. Go for the 1.1 version of this book, because
it alerts you when there's something unavailable in 1.02. I wasn't very
interested in writing applets anyway, so I sort of skimmed through that
part.

Ewan Dunbar
Visit Preston Manning: Action Hero at
http://earl.thedunbars.com/pmah/index.html