RE: Icons in File Windows

Dave LaMothe (dlamothe@generation.net)
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:40:14 -0400 (EDT)

On 11-Apr-99 Chris Ross wrote:

> This is a basic question, apologies for that.
>
> On my machine neither xfm or asfiles display icons for the items
> in their respective windows properly. For example, in asfile
> directory names are shown with the legend [dir_icon] above them.
> In xfm, executables are shown with their names and [exe_icon]
> above them.
>
> How do I set them them up to show lovely icons for everything.
> Like I said, it's a basic question and I'm sure the answer is to
> type the right path(s) into the right config files - but which
> ones?
>
> A a short summary or pointer to a HOWTO would be gratefully
> received.
>
> For supplementary question... at the risk of opening a holy war
> what File Manager would people here recommend and why? I'm not
> especially taken with either of the above. My favourite Filer
> would have to be that in Acorn's RISC OS for the for the few who
> might have seen it. Is there anything even vaguely close for
> AfterStep?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

 For xfm the icons are set in ~/.xfm/xfmrc. You have to set the path to your
icons in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Xfm. I used that app for a while, but
with it set up to use nice icons it would take 8-10 seconds to load on a
PII400/128M ram!!!. I'm now using TkDesk (without the Wharfish thing). There's a
nice comparisson of file managers at Chuck's Linux File Manager Page:
http://entropy.dynip.com/burk/LinuxFile.html

Dave.

11-Apr-99
18:40:14