Re: Help Balloons

Greg Anderson (Nifft@FutureRealms.com)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 01:02:48 -0400

Greg Anderson wrote:

> Suggestion:
>
> The pager and Wharf have help labels, it would be wonderful if
> the title bars, buttons, window frame corners and bottom bar
> could have help balloons attached to them. The help balloons
> should be easily toggled on and off.
>
> Since all the above window areas can have multiple key and mouse
> buttons bound to them and their actions, it would be extremely
> helpful to have configurable help balloons on all these areas.
>
> No one wants to read and memorize the feel files to see what
> is available to make a desktop theme a more useful one.  People
> like to just click and see what happens.  But since all of the
> window areas are so configurable, even the theme creator can
> forget what awesome time saving action "Mouse button 3 on the
> Title Bar Button 2" does.  If you don't know about it, you won't
> use it.
>
> It is exciting to think about thousands of people creating
> functional themes who's functionality can easily be expressed
> to thousands of others.
>
> How hard would this be to implement???

I have created a Balloon Help Kludge using the PopUp menus to
display context sensitive help for all the TitleBar buttons,
title bar, window frame and root window.  This was pretty easy
to setup.  If your interested have a look of a screen shot and
the example code at:
http://www.FutureRealms.com/HelpBalloonKludge/

Is there anyone interested in adding this balloon help functionality
to AfterStep?  I mean, coding in real context help, not my PopUP
version of it.

--

Greg Anderson
http://www.FutureRealms.com/