Re: Icons in File Windows

Stan Barr (stanb@dial.pipex.com)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:10:06 +0100

Chris Ross <chris@lochvale.com> wrote:

> This is a basic question, apologies for that.
>
> On my machine neither xfm or asfiles display icons for the items
> in their respective windows properly. For example, in asfile
> directory names are shown with the legend [dir_icon] above them.
> In xfm, executables are shown with their names and [exe_icon]
> above them.
>
> How do I set them them up to show lovely icons for everything.
> Like I said, it's a basic question and I'm sure the answer is to
> type the right path(s) into the right config files - but which
> ones?
>
> A a short summary or pointer to a HOWTO would be gratefully
> received.
>
> For supplementary question... at the risk of opening a holy war
> what File Manager would people here recommend and why? I'm not
> especially taken with either of the above. My favourite Filer
> would have to be that in Acorn's RISC OS for the for the few who
> might have seen it. Is there anything even vaguely close for
> AfterStep?

You need to set the paths to your icons in:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Xfm

you can have more than one source of icons, I have added hundreds
of _cool_ ones to mine, and changed the default folder icons to
BeOs style ones - that sort of thing is set in ~/.xfm/xfmrc

You might also want to edit ~/.xfm/magic to make xfm associate a
file with your favorite app to handle it - .html files to Netscrape
etc...

I like xfm because the Applications window allows me to have different
click and drop behavior for an icon, AFAIK no other app manager allows
this....no doubt someone will correct me on that ;-)

Hope this helps a bit.

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr  stanb@dial.pipex.com