Re: Aterm catching console messages

Julian Catchen (topeka@psu.edu)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:13:02 -0400

At 08:16 AM 4/12/99 -0400, you wrote:
>On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, David Mihm wrote:
>
>> The best method is to direct the AfterStep messages (not to ~/.xerrors)
>> to the console as well, thusly:
>> and then using the Exec line in autoexec:
>>
>> 	Exec  "I"  aterm -T xconsole -n xconsole -C &
>
>Thanks for you responses, but I have been misunderstood.  Maybe I wasn't
>clear in my original post.  I know how to direct the messages, but I don't
>manually startx... I boot up in runlevel 5, so I use xdm.  I know how to
>get an aterm up on startup, and I know how to make the aterm catch console
>messages.  The problem is that if I try firing up an aterm that catches
>console messages on startup, it doesn't work and the regular xconsole is
>used instead.

Just throw the preferred command into one of your X startup scripts (mine
is in ~/.xsession).  This way you can have xconsole running when xdm is in
control, then when you login you can kill xconsole and fire up aterm.

In the Xsetup_0 script:  (this gives you an xconsole on during xdm)
	xconsole <program options>
	echo $! >/var/run/xconsole_0.pid

Then in .xsession: (this will kill xconsole and startup aterm)
	kill -9 'cat /var/run/xconsole_0.pid
	rm -f /var/run/xconsole_0.pid
	aterm <program options>

>Armando L. Caro Jr.                                  acaro@cis.udel.edu
>University of Delaware                   http://www.cis.udel.edu/~acaro

julian

>--
>   WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>   FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
>   MAIL:  http://www.caldera.com/linuxcenter/forums/afterstep.html

J   U   L   I   A   N   M   C   A   T   C   H   E   N
----->t o p e k a   a t   p s u   d o t   e d u<-----
w w w . p e r s o n a l . p s u . e d u / j m c 2 5 2