Re: java programming for X

KerNeL PaNiC (panic@primary.net)
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 00:33:44 -0500

Ewan Dunbar wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, AlViN Loh wrote:
> > however , since it is a mutliplatform language , it is limited by security
> > factors so writing to the user's harddisk may be a problem .
> >
> > erm. since its mutliplatform .. you can start creating your own applets in
> > linux too ..
> >
> > just download the JDK1.2 compiler from java.sun.com and you are ready to go
>
> Not quite... an "applet" runs in a web browser and can't write to the
> user's hard disk. An "application" does not run in a web browser -- a la
> ICQJava. It *can* write to your disk.

>From my limited experience with Java 2 (aka 1.2) there are such things
as 'signed' java applets, which basically tell the java security manager
that these are 'trusted' and should have access to the local hard drive.

> Ewan Dunbar
> Visit Preston Manning: Action Hero at
> http://earl.thedunbars.com/pmah/index.html

Matthew R. Hamilton  Senior Systems Engineer  -- miSOFT Inc. (A division
of Metters Ind.)
Sun Certified Systems Engineer  &  Sun Competency 2000 Certified