Re: Search engine?

Greg Anderson (Nifft@FutureRealms.com)
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:32:33 -0400

Albert Dorofeev wrote:

> Hi, all!
>
> I have been looking for a search engine in the past few weeks.
> The purpose is to provide you all with a way to search the
> mail archives kept at tigr.net. However, so far I could find only
> one real search engine that worked: htDig. The problem with htDig
> is that when I run it agains the archives the database takes up
> between 40 and 50 Mb - that's for the current size of the archives
> of under 20 Mb in raw format. I do not feel comfortable with
> consuming so much space (although for a good cause).
>
> I wonder if anyone can point me to a search tool which is probably
> not as elaborate and powerful as htDig but takes up less space.

This should work for you.  I use it locally on my system with tkman.

http://glimpse.cs.arizona.edu/
GLIMPSE
A tool to search entire file systems

News

March 22, 1999: New versions of Glimpse and Webglimpse are now available
from http://webglimpse.net. The core code continues to be available free
to educational and nonprofit users....

Glimpse supports three types of indexes: a tiny one (2-3% of the size
of all files), a small one (7-9%), and a medium one (20-30%). The larger
the index the faster the search. For most applications, the small index
(glimpseindex -o) is the best choice. Glimpse supports most of agrep's
options (agrep is our powerful version of grep, and it is part of glimpse)
including approximate matching (e.g., finding misspelled words), Boolean
queries, and even some limited forms of regular expressions.

Greg Anderson      /. ' _]
http://www.FutureRealms.com/