Re: Backgrounds

Greg Anderson (Nifft@FutureRealms.com)
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 21:55:29 -0400

Mark Ogden wrote:

> What the hell do you use 12 desks for!?
>
> Markypoos
>
> > On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Greg Anderson wrote:
> >
> > I love the pager.  I have 12 desks with four pages each....

I can't figure out why others have not realized how useful
the pager is! Seems people "sort of" use the pager and then
spend most of the time playing with Wharf.  I have the pager
setup with 12 labeled desktops which I can get to by pressing
Shift-F1 through Shift-F12.

Have a look at it:

http://www.FutureRealms.com/Pager/Pager.html

My autoexec calls a bash script that fires up all the programs
I usually use on each desktop and page I normally use it in
and then I leave them all running.  I made my font for the
pager balloons huge so I can quickly pass the mouse over the
desktop to find a running app.

I can and do have xterms open very large on pages giving me
information on TOP, ps, the network, etc... Instead of some
tiny little graph in a Wharf button, I have full screen
information about my system by just pressing a Shift-Function
key or clicking the mouse on the pager.  I don't understand
docking that kind of information into tiny Wharf graphs that
really don't give you very much information at all.

--
Greg Anderson
http://www.FutureRealms.com/