Re: DPMS with and without X

Kevin Chu (kevin@portal.ca)
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 17:06:55 -0700

Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> Now, I wonder which XF86Config options are used to
> set up the DPMS parameters.  As for now, I say
>
> xset dpms 0 0 900
>
> and also I can say
>
> xset dpms force off
>
> if I want to turn the monitor off via DPMS at once
> and go get coffee while the kernel recompiles.
>
> BUT, putting that in .xinit doesn't work with AS.
> Why?

On my Red Hat 5.1 system (AfterStep-1.4.5.3-2) I have the following in
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients:

> #!/bin/bash
>
> # these files are left sitting around by TheNextLevel.
> rm -f $HOME/Xrootenv.0
> rm -f /tmp/fvwmrc* 2>/dev/null
>
> # save the monitor
> xset s off
> xset dpms 300 360 420
>
> [ remainder of file ]

Individual users can still change that with their own config files.

> AND, what do you do if you're a die-hard text
> junkie and just don't like to startx when messing
> around with the kernel?  Is there a way to
> activate the DPMS from a virtual terminal --
> console, when X is not running at all?

Dunno, but hope someone answers.  Here, gpm blanks the screen but
doesn't make the monitor sleep.

Kevin

--
Kevin Chu               kevin@portal.ca