rotated titlebar text (was Re: Winlist...)

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:44:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, James wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us wrote:
>
> # WE, gurus, carefully reviewed you problem and think that
> # easier way to achive your goals would be by turning your monitor
> # on the side. That way you would not have to rotate fonts to achive
> # vertical look and feel.
> #
> # We, gurus, do not take any responcibility  for any damage such move can cause
> # to your health.
>
> yeah, but i'd then have to rotate my monitor back to use the console :)
> i know, couldn't each window have a pixmap created that contains the titlebar
> text, so you write and rotate the text into the pixmap, copy it to the window's
> titlebar and then show the app in the window (since most things take a while
> to load the extra time for rotating and copying shouldn't slow it down too much)
>
> it might go wonky with transient windows that don't stay alive for a long time
> (like the gimp progress windows) but it could be a database attribute like
> WindowListSkip that you add for the windows you want it on.
>
> did that make any sense? (does to me)

Keeping a pixmap with the titlebar text in it means that every time the
titlebar changes in any way, the pixmap would need to be redone.  Title
changes and window resizes would be very slow.  More memory would be in
use for every vertical titlebar except gradiented or translucent titlebars
(currently no extra memory is used for vertical titlebars).

Even so, I agree that rotated text looks better.  Maybe someone can come
up with a fast, memory efficient way to do it?  (I'm dreaming, I know.)
Failing that, a simple way (code-wise) would be nice.

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com
http://members.xoom.com/allanon1