Re: Use more descriptive Subjects !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![was:Aterm]

Albert Dorofeev (albert@tigr.net)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:02:14 +0200

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 09:43:06AM -0700, JOHN GRAHAM wrote:
> Makes sense thanks,  but what about the html thing
>
> >> Why should it matter how the emails are posted or what's in the
> >> subject line.  The people that want to respond do so, and the ones
> >> that do not, don't.

HTML consumes a lot of bandwidth and many people
in UNIX community do not use Netscape to read their
mail. It is always preferable that you use the
least complex format in your mail - namely ascii text.
Then you can be sure everybody else can read it
and you do not waste the bandwidth for unnecessary
bells and whistles that nobody cares about.

On the same note it is a bad idea to quote the
complete post (especially with all the headers)
and then add just one line of your own. Cut out
everything unessential and leave just enough
for ppl to make out what you are responding to.

On the subject of subjects: I receive more than
100 mails daily. If I see a message from a
mailing list that does not catch my attention it
goes to trash right away. Sorry, that's life.
You have to differentiate your mails like you
would differentiate the products you market if
you were a company. A different subject gives you
an advantage in the competetion for people's attention.

Best wishes,
Albert aka Tigr