Re: AFTERSTEP_DESK

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:31:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Aaron Armstrong wrote:
>
> >A question on a similar note - does AfterStep keep track of which virtual
> >screen you are on in each desk?  Say I have a 2x2 pager and am currently in
> >the lower right screen - is there a variable which would indicate this?
> >Maybe PAGER_SCREEN=2_2 ( assuming top left is 1_1, top right is 2_1 :
> >Xvalue_Yvalue )
>
> That would be AFTERSTEP_VIEWPORT_X and AFTERSTEP_VIEWPORT_Y
> and will actually represent real coordinates of viewport on virtual desk - not a
> page number as you want.
> cos viewport can be moved contiguosly, not only in screensize increments.

There's already a way to get the current desktop number from AfterStep.
Start the Gnome module (thanks for the great work Rafal!), and do:

xprop -root | grep "^_WIN_WORKSPACE(CARDINAL)" | cut -f2 -d=

Setting the current desk is just as easy:

ascommand.pl "Desk 0 1"

See the AfterStep man page for a description of the Desk command.

There is currently no way to get the viewport; perhaps a non-Gnome
addition to the Gnome module? :)

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com