Re: 1) Identifying AS version? & 2) Gnome and AS?

Andrew Garrett (malach@perception.co.nz)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:18:09 +1200

At 18:00 27/04/99 , Mike  wrote:
>I personally find it not very helpful when someone says "do a man
>whatever".  Perhaps the poster did that and didn't understand what he
>was reading or needed more information.  MAYBE, he doesn't know what a
>manpage is nor how to get to it. Perhaps that was the case with the
>original poster here.  I don't know, nor do I suspect anyone but the
>original poster does.  On the other hand, he could just be lazy and not
>wanted to do any research to learn how to do things for himself.

Surely it's not too much problem to say something like "I had a look at the man
page, and saw this section "copy and paste" which looks relevant, but I don't
really understand it"

In that case, the person giving (emphasis on giving here) can go straight to
the heart of the problem *and* it gives valuable feedback to the individuals
who write the documentation, that that particular section is less clear than it
might be.

I've you've read the man pages, or dejanews, or the mailinglist list archives
(erm... speaking of which, I lack the wit to find them... are they still about
somewhere?), then mention that in your query.

Don't be surprised if someone points you to a *particular* manpage, or a
particular section of a man page.

Yeah, mailing lists are here to help.... but surely you have to give the list
*something* to work with....

(was that a flame?  I hope not)

Andrew

                                    Andrew Garrett
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity......
                                but they've always worked for me....." HST
    "When the going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro" - also HST