Re: 1) Identifying AS version? & 2) Gnome and AS?

Ron McConn (mcconn1@avlismail.llnl.gov)
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 09:05:45 -0700

At 11:53 PM 4/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Ron McConn wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>	I have two questions.
>>
>>	First, what is an easy way to tell which version of AS that I am running?
>>I think I'm running 1.7.90 but I'm not absolutely sure.  I need this
>>version to run Gnome.
>>
>>	Secondly, is there a trick to running Gnome and AS?  I have done as the
>>install instructions say by putting the exec call into my Xsession file
>>(also been put in xinitrc and Xclients) but it doesn't start.  I think I
>>need to put the path for Gnome in my path call but I'm not sure where it
>>installed.  So the real question is what's the path and where does it go?
>
>	This is a big slap in the face to the people that spend time
>writing documentaion.  I debated responding to this mail, but I proke
>down.  The afterstep man page is on your machine, and on the web site.
>The 9th line from the top of the afterstep man page is:
>	[-v | --version] [-c | --config]
>although it might take some type of reading level acheived as well as an
>small understanding of the English language; it is rather clear.
>
>	Information for getting Gnome working with AfterStep is also
>available on the web site, and has been updated 3 times since the move to
>100% Gnome compliance.  It is now rather straight forward in prescribing
>the requirements and describing the steps to acheive a Gnome environment
>in AfterStep.
>
>	If for some reason this information that is provided is lacking in
>some way, only by contacting the author of said information and reporting
>such, will the information become clearer.
>
>	Thanks for YOUR time.
>
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| d a v i d  @  m i h m                         reality.sys corrupt! |
>| davemann  @ ionet.net                        reboot universe(y,n)? |
>| webmaster @ afterstep.org                               ICQ:906859 |
>| ftpmaster @ afterstep.org                www.the-site.loonybin.net |
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
>           E4 90 15 ED E5 9F 18 8A B0 CC FF 68 61 36 4A 6F
>

>--
>   WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>   FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
>   MAIL:  http://www.calderasystems.com/linuxcenter/forums/afterstep.html

Well, you guys really don't want people to post questions now do you?  The
linux community claims to offer a better support for questions than
Microsoft or other proprietary computer manufacturers and this response
just shows how stuck up and snotty some Linux developers can be.  Not
everyone who uses Linux knows immeadiately how to configure/install all the
nuances of the system nor do all of us have time to just sit in front of
our boxes reading and rereading documentation.  I have a life beyond the
computer and my family still claims I spend to much time in front of it as
is.  Which brings me to another point, most of the documentation that is
written is done so for a seasoned sys admin and not a novice user, too many
assumptions that the user will just know what is being described.  I have
read the man pages on AfterStep and remembered seeing a version command or
parameter but couldn't find it again (forest for the trees type of thing).
My main question wasn't about this parameter though, it was about getting
Gnome to run.  I followed the instructions and I searched through all of
the documentation BEFORE I decided to email this forum.  Had I known I
would be looked down at by the group I would have erased the disk with
Linux on it and gone back to Win95, since I can do everything I need right
now without all the headaches of learning a new OS.  However, I like
learning new things and I like Linux/AfterStep.

In closing I would like to reiterate that I DID reread the documentation
prior to sending my original email.  I posted my question to see if anyone
else had similar problems with Gnome but instead I've gotten berated for
being a newbie and having to much to do that limits my retention a bit.  If
linux is ever to rise above the OS dictator that Windows is tolerance for
easy, simple questions will have to be learned.

Sorry for the rant,

Ron M.